Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Noon

Noon

The noon sings a lullaby
To whoever might listen?
And swing in tune,
To the sweet notes
And drift away to crazy dreams.
The soothing warm wind blows,
Trees nod; the leaves flutter;
Flower, a vibrant colour
Of red, violet and yellow.
The cloudless sky, a brilliant blue.
I spot a lonely crow-
Its wings, the colour of night.
The hot sun burns my feet,
My eyelids droop,
But I cannot slip away-
Surrender myself to sleep
There is more of the noon
To be seen and felt.
A tiny butterfly spreads its powdery
Wings
And enters the heart of a flower,
Tastes the warm honey,
Dwells in ecstasy.
Beyond my neighbor’s wall,
I hear the coos of an infant
He snuggles up to his mother,
In the afternoon sun,
Many words pass between them,
I smile;
But here a little bird
Hops among the branches of the
Guava tree,
He stands tall and proud,
Perhaps hunting for twigs,
His yellow bosom heaving up
And down,
Under the afternoon sun.
Then suddenly all is still
Nature turns to gold
It is the sun’s miracle
A feast to the eye!
Now my heart fills with pity
For those lost in slumber
In their warm beds
Or choking in blankets;
For those oblivious
Of the miracle of the afternoon.

Poem by: Jaya Thachil,St.Teresa’s College

0 comments:

Post a Comment